Colorado can sure have its temperature swings. We can have sunshine, rain, sleet and snow all with-in the same day! You never know what the weather is going to be like in the Denver, Boulder and Westminster metro areas, so one always needs to be prepared.
When the cold is on furnace repair companies are in high gear. The heat is on to get the furnaces repaired as quickly as possible! It can take hours to get your furnace running again, so in this blog I will tell you a couple thing that most people can check from themselves. Some furnaces can be repaired without calling a heating repair company.
Below is a checklist of easy furnace repairs that can save you money!
If your furnace is dead check;
- If you changed your furnace filter, did you reinstall the furnace door properly? Check to make sure it's not loose.
- Is the fuse at the furnace blown? Some furnaces have fuses integrated into the power switch. If it's blown then replace it.
- Is the thermostat set correctly? Check to make sure the thermostat is set for heat, and is set for the desired temperature.
- Check the house circuit breaker to see if it's tripped. It's probably a 20 amp breaker, and you may need to flip it off and on.
If your furnace is firing but doesn't seem to be blowing the heat throughout your home properly check;
- Is you filter clogged? Most filters should be replaced monthly during the heating and cooling season.
- Check the vents, they should never be closed all the way unless they're in the basement. More air flow is better!
- Make sure you're not blocking the return air vents with furniture or other objects. Keep stuff at least 6" from the vent.
The bullet points above are repairs that we actually make as a Denver Furnace Repair Company. If you find yourself in a pinch or if you just like to tinker, you might find one of the suggestions will get your furnace heating again. But remember to still have your furnace serviced and cleaned by a professional repair company. You should be sure that the furnace is SAFELY heating you home.